Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Photos: my Dad carving drums - 70's / Chekere's - Shekere's made in the 90's

After the bark is taken off, the exterior gets shaped.

Exterior gets carved 1972

Carving & brass work

Based on Afro-Cuban Arará drums.

Finished drum.

22" inch tall drum.
(used as a Haitian 'Bula')

These three drums made by my father
are now owned by John Amira.

Set of non fundamento Batá made by my father.
1970's

Three sizes of Chekere's made by my father.

Two below are the last ones he made.
(For my birthday)


The "Ojo"
(La firma de mi Babá)

"Often copied... NEVER equaled"
WORD UP.

2 comments:

leloconga said...

Very cool thanks for sharing

Sentimiento Manana said...

Mark,
Your father did some extremely beautiful and detailed work. Who has his last set of chekeres, you?

a>