Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tito Puente "The Complete 78s" Vol - I, II, III, IV - N.Y.C.

Many of the original 78rpm records that were used for this four volume set, came from my fathers record collection that he sold to 'Joe Conzo' in the early 1980's.
Featuring 'Vicentico Valdés', 'Mongo Santamaria', 'Willie Bobo', 'Manny Oquendo' and 'Charlie Palmieri'

On these early recordings, Mongo is playing a 'tack head" drum (a drum that needed a can of 'Sterno' to heat the skin head to tune it) and later especially in Vol-IV, you can hear him playing his two drums made by 'Gonzalo Vergara'.

'Mongo' playing a "tack head" tumbadora.

'Mongo' playing his two 'Vergara's' with 'Tito Puente'.

(((
Vol - I)))


(((Vol - II)))


(((Vol - III)))


(((Vol - IV)))


2 comments:

Unknown said...

incredible- thanks so much for these.

Norio said...

These are fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing with us. This is my first visit to your blog, and I see that I have a LOT to learn.

a>